Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, has demanded the public parade of the suspected killers of the 16 hunters and compensation for their families.
The governor handed down the demand during a condolence visit by his Edo counterpart, Monday Okpebholo, in Kano, on Monday.
The visit comes barely 48 hours after the remains of the hunters, who were lynched by a mob, were interred in Uromi, Edo State, on Saturday.
Members of the Hausa community converged on the community cemetery to pay their last respects to the victims, who were burnt to death last Thursday after they were accused of being kidnappers.
The hunters were travelling in a truck when they were intercepted by a vigilante group, and 16 of them were murdered while 10 escaped.
Speaking while hosting Okpebholo at the Kano Government House, Yusuf described the attack as disturbing, emphasising that Nigeria valued the sanctity of human life.
“This cowardly act contradicts the fundamental principles of our society, which are deeply rooted in both Islamic and Christian teachings.
“So far, 14 suspects have been arrested in connection with the killings. As Kano remains dear to my heart, we will continue to uphold the value of being our brother’s keeper,” he said.
Addressing concerns about possible reprisals by northerners, the governor said, “We have implemented strong security measures to prevent any reprisal attacks. We also urge that those arrested be publicly paraded to bring relief to the victims’ families and to ensure accountability.’’
“I call on Gov. Okpebholo to ensure that the families of the victims receive fair compensation for their loss. I also commend President Tinubu for his prompt response and commitment to justice by directing security agencies to pursue the perpetrators,” he noted.
Speaking earlier, Okpebholo condemned the brutal killing of the hunters in Udune, Uromi Local Government Area of the state, describing the attack as barbaric and unacceptable.
“I was deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident. Upon my arrival, I met with my Hausa brothers, who had generously supported me during my election campaign,” Okpebholo said.
He further stated that President Bola Tinubu had directed the Inspector-General of Police and other security agencies to track down the perpetrators and ensure they faced justice.
“We have implemented robust security measures to hold all those involved accountable. Security agencies have already launched investigations to bring the culprits to justice,” he assured.
A statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Fred Itua, disclosed that some of the victims hailed from Bankure Local Government Area of Kano State.
It said the governor, deeply moved by the tragic incident, assured the bereaved families and the people of Kano State that justice would be served.
“I was deeply touched when I received the news of the incident at night. By 4 a.m., I left Abuja and rushed to Uromi to meet with the affected families. During my campaign, your people supported me, and I stand with you in this time of grief. I extend my condolences to the people of Kano State and pray for the eternal rest of the victims’ souls
“We have made significant progress in our investigations. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not happy about this incident and has directed security agencies to go after the culprits. I can assure you that justice will prevail.
“So far, about 14 suspects have been arrested, and after the holiday, they will be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation. More arrests will follow as investigations continue,” Okpebholo reportedly stated.
It said Yusuf commended Okpebholo for his swift intervention and support to the bereaved families.
The governor stated, “We appreciate the Governor of Edo State for his prompt response to this tragic event. It is well known that our people were returning from Port Harcourt when they were brutally murdered.
“The majority of the victims were from two local governments in Kano State. Governor Okpebholo immediately visited the scene, ensured that the corpses were retrieved, and arranged for their proper burial.
“He also made commitments to support the affected families, and I can confirm that he has fulfilled those promises.
“We trust his assurance that the culprits will be brought to book, as justice remains our utmost priority. The people of Kano are peaceful and hospitable. This tragedy serves as a lesson to all, and I urge all leaders across Nigeria to ensure the safety and protection of all citizens, regardless of their location. Governor Okpebholo’s visit today is a mark of true leadership, and we appreciate his gesture.”
Speaking on behalf of the Arewa community in Edo State, Badamasi Saleh, who was with Okpehbolo in Kano, reaffirmed the longstanding cordial relationship between the northern community and Edo people, emphasizing that the unfortunate event should not be used to tarnish the state’s image.
He added, “I was born and raised in Edo State, and we have always maintained a peaceful relationship with the people here. This incident should not be used to create division or smear the reputation of the Edo State Government.
“The swift response of the state government was commendable. Moreover, it was the people of Uromi who rescued some of the victims from the assailants. This tragedy will not change our bond with the people of Edo.”
The leader of the Edo community in Kano, Fred Akhigbe, also expressed appreciated Okpebholo’s visit, urging both communities to maintain peace and unity.
He added, “We are grateful to the Governor of Edo State for personally coming to Kano to express his condolences. When this tragic incident happened, there was apprehension, but we are reassured by the swift actions taken by both state governments. We sympathise with the people of Kano State and pray for the victims.
“I have lived in Kano for 52 years, and we must remember that we are all one. There is no need for conflict between us. We commend both governors for their leadership and commitment to justice.”